CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Berry Delicious

Alrightly now that the Olympics are winding down I can get back to my blogging....
My haul for the week. I got some great deals, the 3 peppers for a dollar , the cherry tomatoes were 50 cents, 5o cent garlic, 40 cent cucumber, bag of organic baby spinach for $2 and of course my own home grown tomatoes =)
Unfortunately when I was unloading I dropped my Berries and they got a bit squashed. So I decided to make berry smoothie. Squashed berries, ice, a bit of almond milk half a cup of water and a half cup of spinach .

Mmm it made two glasses full and if I didn't tell you there was spinach in it you would be none the wiser. A great way to get some extra antioxidants and greens in your diet. This sure filled me up and made me feel great after drinking it. I have been doing a lot of reading about Raw diets, so I am trying to incorporate as much raw food as I can into my diet.
Anyone pick up anything good at their farmers markets this week?
Keep it local =)

9 comments:

suzy Lane said...

yummy Amber, I hope you saved me a taste!

Jenna said...

That looks delicious Amber! I can't believe the deals you got on all of that stuff! Are you trying to go completely raw food eventually?

Shana said...

Your farmer's market is cheap! Geez... my stuff is so expensive compared to that :(

I've been meaning to try spinach in a smoothie... but haven't been brave enough. Can you really not taste it at all?

The Perry Fam said...

Go RAW FOOD! It would be so hard to go 100%, but I'm also trying to eat more and more raw every day.

Amber said...

Shana the prices have dropped this month so much! And you can't taste the spinach in smoothies at all! I use all sorts greens depending what is on hand.

I know Lindsey I am SOO into raw foods, I love it! I have eliminated so much junk by focusing on raw. I try to only spoil myself when I am out for dinner or am craving carbs.

F and G = T & T said...

I love that your smoothie is in a Guinness glass! :)

Unknown said...

Is it always that cheap at the farmer's market? I always envisioned expensive stuff and an extra trip (gas). I cannot wait to grow my own strawberries next year.

Mandi said...

Go Amber. I am just not a fan of spinach but that is a great way to incorporate it to get the benefits of it. Ill have to give that a try. Maybe with the raspberries from my garden :) and hurray for tomato time. Lots of tomato salads? U really should try canning. U could make ur own tomato sauce or just canned tomatoes. And let's not forget tomato soup.

Amber said...

Mandi I JUST talked to my dad! He is coming over the weekend over next to help me can! =) =) You have to help me find some yummy tomato soup and sauce recipes to can.

Angie, produce the prices change but at their peak they are always cheapest. I like to stock up when produce is cheap for example I have been stocking up on peppers this week and last for 3 for a dollar, I have chopped and frozen some to have when they aren't in season.

My farmers market us less then a mile to my house so the gas used for me to drive there and the gas it takes for the farmers to bring the farmers to the market is significantly less then the gas wasted if I bought my produce at the super amrket.